Author Topic: "Fair Use" and Video Games on YouTube  (Read 414 times)

drweesnaw

• View Profile
"Fair Use" and Video Games on YouTube
« on: August 04, 2012, 10:20:36 PM »
Hey iLoL community, I have an interesting "issue," for lack of a better term, to open for discussion. I'm not sure if this is the right forum category to discuss this in, but it involves discussion and LoL, so close enough. XD

Copyright restrictions and the like are very commonplace these days and if you aren't careful, you can wind up dealing with litigations completely unintentionally. However, copyright laws and "Fair Use" rules can make some lines very fuzzy, especially with video games, or more specifically, gameplay footage. Recently YouTube has offered me a partnership in order to make money from the various content I post on my account (mostly videos of my former band). As of late, however, I have decided to start a for-fun series of me and occasionally my friends playing LoL with commentary and maybe even a TF2 or Minecraft series. This is where the problem arises, however. In order to become a partner and to "monetize" content with advertisements, you must have full copyright ownership or permission to use all content in the video. Due to "Fair Use," I can add various music for an intro so long as I use under 30 seconds of a song, which is easy enough for a 12 second intro. But for gameplay videos, proving copyright and/or gaining permission from the developer (in this case Riot) can be significantly more difficult (though I doubt Riot has a problem with it). Under "Fair Use," one can use excerpts of footage from various sources for commentary or review purposes, but what constitutes "commentary" or an "excerpt" and its context can be interpreted in many very different ways. I'm thinking of contacting Riot to ask if they are ok with me using their content for videos, just to be safe, but I personally think this is pointless since I'm subscribed to several partnered channels that post LoL videos all the time with no copyright backlash whatsoever. It also provides essentially free advertising of the game and can expose LoL to many more people through the vast reaches of the YouTube community. However, some gaming companies, most notably Rockstar, have been cracking down on YouTube videos containing reviews or play-throughs of Red Dead Redemption and the GTA IV DLC.

Thus I reach my main point of discussion: should it be considered "Fair Use" to share videos of gameplay footage on YouTube so long as you acknowledge the developers and include some form of original commentary, or are gaming companies justified in requiring their given consent to use their content? Also, should there be more specific restrictions for certain genres due to variety of gameplay experience, such as in RPGs or multiplayer games like LoL with unique gaming experiences or storylines, as opposed to single-player games with little variety in game experience?
Nothing is true; everything is cheese wheels.

EndlessHelix

• View Profile
Re: "Fair Use" and Video Games on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 01:39:59 PM »
My understanding of the situation is this: You can post your gameplay footage on Youtube or similar sites. Full Stop. I think Riot actually likes you to do this, since it's basically free advertising.

Thnift

• This Pony is Best Pony
  • Whippy whip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »
My understanding of the situation is this: You can post your gameplay footage on Youtube or similar sites. Full Stop. I think Riot actually likes you to do this, since it's basically free advertising.

Any game designer and/or producer that makes their game not available for youtube, is stupid, it's free advertising, lets people know what the gameplay is like, and in a lot of ways helps people decide to buy it or not better than the trailers do.
Macbook Pro 13" (1280 x 800)
NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB graphics
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

. <- This is real punishment

drweesnaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 06:44:05 PM »

Any game designer and/or producer that makes their game not available for youtube, is stupid, it's free advertising, lets people know what the gameplay is like, and in a lot of ways helps people decide to buy it or not better than the trailers do.

This is basically my view on it. It can also introduce you to a game you've never heard of, like me and Minecraft. I discovered Minecraft by accident when a few years ago I stumbled across a video about the update adding minecart tracks. I thought it was a nifty idea and got it. Funny YouTube videos also convinced me to buy GTA IV a few years ago.
Nothing is true; everything is cheese wheels.

Keffek

• Administrator
  • Yordle Stomper
  • S'up? .o/
    • View Profile
    • My company
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:59:09 AM »
As far as I know you can use gameplay footage. A lot of YouTube partners use video game footage in their videos (Starcraft, lol, wow, ...).

It's like people say: FREE PUBLICITY! What dev wouldn't want that?
http://teemomustdie.com/

So I decided to give this Twitter thing a try...